You may apply for your passport at the Monroe County Courthouse, Office of the Circuit Clerk, Room 115, 100 South Main Street, Waterloo, Illinois 62298 from 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM Monday-Friday except Holidays.
Please note: Passport application process cannot be started after 3:30 PM due to the length of time to process the paperwork. Below see short videos for passport application tips.
How to Apply for a Passport:
How to Get a Good Passport Photo:
How to Apply for a Child’s Passport:
How to Renew a Passport:
You should apply for a passport several months before your planned departure date. Allow six (6) weeks for the processing of the passport. You may expedite your passport request for an additional fee. In this case, allow 2-3 weeks. Also, you may not travel on a passport that is expiring within 6 months. For the most up-to-date information, visit U.S. Department of State.
An application consists of the following six items:
- Application Form: Completed U.S. Dept. of State “Application for a Passport,” Form DSP-11, available at the Circuit Clerk’s Office or online at: http://travel.state.gov.
- Proof of Citizenship: Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as your U.S. Passport, U.S. certified birth certificate that includes your first and last names, date and place of birth, and date the birth record was filed. Certification may include the seal or other official certification of the official custodian of such records. You may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the County where you were born. If no birth record exists, submit a registrar’s notice (from a county clerk’s office or state vital statistics office) stating that fact, along with one of the following documents: early baptismal or circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, early census, school or family Bible records, newspaper or insurance files or notarized affidavits of persons having knowledge of your birth (preferably with at least one of the other listed records). Such records should include your first and last name, date and place of birth and seal or other certification of office (if customary) and signature of the issuing official. If you were born outside of the U.S., you may submit a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad, or similar evidence.If you are a citizen from the naturalization of your parent(s), submit a Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent)s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the U.S. for permanent residence.
- Proof of Identity: You may submit your previous valid U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, driver’s license (not a learner’s permit or temporary license), or government identification card or pass.
- Social Security Number: Although not required for issuance of passport, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, 26 USC 6039E, states that any passport applicant failing to provide this information is subject to a $500.00 penalty enforced by the U.S. internal Revenue Service.
- Photograph: The photograph must be or you alone. It must by 2”x2” in size, and the area from the bottom of your chin to the top of your hair must be between 1 and 1 3/8”. The Photograph must be clear, front view, full face, in normal attire, without a hat or dark glasses. It must be on a plain white or off-white background and may be black & white or color. A retouched photograph in which your appearance is changed is not acceptable. (You may consider using a store or service such as Walgreens to take your photo.)
- Fees Book: $110.00-adult, $80.00-minor Card: $30.00-adult, $15.00-minor. A minor is considered 15 years or younger. Expedite fee: $60.00 per passport application. Overnight fee: $14.85 to have overnighted back to you. Acceptance Agency Fee: $25.00 per passport application.Make checks payable to U.S. Department of State for the passports. Make checks payable to Monroe County Circuit Clerk for the Acceptance Agency Fee.