Couples planning to be married or joined in a civil union in Monroe County, Illinois, must apply for a license at the Monroe County Clerk’s Office. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The telephone number is 618-939-8681, ext. 302.
The marriage couple or civil union partners must both appear in person to apply for a license, which becomes effective in Monroe County, Illinois, one day after the date of issuance. The license expires 60 days after its effective date, if the marriage or civil union has not taken place.
The following information is required on the marriage license or civil union license application:
- Name, address, social security number, gender, occupation, date of birth and location of birth of each individual to the proposed marriage or civil union
- If either individual was previously married or joined in a civil union, his or her name, along with the date, location and court in which the marriage or civil union was dissolved or declared invalid, or the date and location of death of the former spouse or partner.
- Name and address of the parents or guardians of each individual.
- If the individuals are related, define the relationship.
- Proof of age of each individual, at least 18 years of age at the time of the marriage or civil union, is required when applying for the marriage license or the civil union license. Acceptable documents for proof of age are a valid driver’s license or a certified copy of a birth certificate.
- Individuals 16 or 17 years of age can be issued a marriage license or a civil union license only with the consent of both parents or legal guardians or with judicial approval.
The cost of a marriage license or a civil union license is $60.
To schedule a marriage or a civil union performed by the Circuit Judge, contact the Circuit Judge’s Office at 618-939-8681, ext. 222.
Converting Civil Union License to Marriage License
For detailed information about converting a civil union license to a marriage license, contact the Monroe County Clerk’s Office at 618-939-8681, ext. 302.
The Monroe County Clerk’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.